Simon acts for the claimant contractor in its claim for repayment of significant sums from the principal sub-contractor, and on its separate claim for repayment under a demand guarantee issued by a Dutch bank. Seat of arbitration: Hong Kong. Parallel Dutch injunction proceedings are ongoing.
Simon Hale has a successful commercial practice, with a particular emphasis on construction disputes, professional indemnity claims and commercial litigation.
He is ranked as a Leading Junior for both Construction and Professional Negligence. Quotes in Chambers & Partners and the Legal 500 include:
- “He has gravitas beyond his age.”
- “Extremely methodical and exceptionally talented at distilling the issues amongst an ocean of information.”
- “He is very bright, tenacious and extremely persuasive in writing.”
- “He has an excellent ability to deliver the goods”
- “Thoroughly respected.”
- “A super junior.”
- “Very no-nonsense and gives targeted advice, exactly on brief.”
- “He thinks about the big picture, and provides clear, well-founded and pragmatic advice.”
Simon has a balanced workload acting both as sole counsel and as a junior to other members of chambers. He brings focused and strategic thinking to every matter, keeping the client’s broader commercial objectives for resolving its dispute firmly in view. Simon understands the value of a cool head, a responsive approach, and teamwork; especially in time-pressured situations.
He is a confident and persuasive advocate with years of experience on his feet before the High Court, the Court of Appeal, and various arbitral and statutory tribunals.