Helen practises in the fields of professional negligence, insurance, disciplinary, fraud and property-related work. Helen has been listed as a recommended junior for professional liability work for some years in the Legal 500, Chambers and Partners and Legal Experts. Recent comments from the directories include:
- “She provides technically excellent advice and is a real fighter”.
- “She is an extremely skilled tactician and a joy to watch in court”.
- “Very efficient, very bright and gives very good advice.”
- “As an advocate, she has a wonderful ability to drill down to the core facts, paring away all that is irrelevant and presenting things in a clear and reasoned manner.”
- “The exceptionally strong quality of Helen Evans’ work stands out to interviewees. They comment that “she is not afraid of standing up and fighting for a point.””
- “Highly sought after for her professional negligence expertise and…considered a go-to by solicitors.”
- “Formidable on paper, on her feet, and in cross-examination.”
- “Works all hours of the day and provides a first-rate service.”
- “Very bright and intuitive, she gives solid commercial advice.”
Helen has experience of a very broad variety of claims against solicitors, with recent examples including lost litigation, employment, matrimonial and costs matters in addition to property, chancery and fraud work. Helen has acted in several pieces of large multi-party or managed litigation (involving issues such as the collapse of accident schemes, large frauds and “right to buy” schemes). Helen has also acted in numerous barristers’ negligence cases and has experience of wasted costs claims and civil restraint orders. Helen is the co-editor of the solicitors’ and barristers’ chapters in Jackson & Powell on Professional Liability (with Hugh Evans). She also undertakes disciplinary work and is currently involved in proceedings before the Solicitors’ Disciplinary Tribunal.
Helen has been instructed in a number of claims against financial professionals, including accountants, auditors, insolvency practitioners and IFAs. Such claims have encompassed issues such as a wide variety of negligent tax, investment and advice about financial products. Examples of her recent work include involvement in a multi-million pound, multi-party case relating to an alleged Unregulated Collective Schemes and several substantial claims relating to allegedly negligent audits. Helen is also currently instructed in professional disciplinary proceedings before the Financial Reporting Council.
Helen has also handled a broad range of disputes against surveyors and valuers (many of which have involved alleged large scale frauds). She has also acted on behalf of banks bringing claims a variety of professionals arising out of property frauds as well as for the professional defendants.
Helen’s practice involves a number of insurance disputes. Helen has also advised on coverage as well as defending a broad range of claims (including e.g. commercial, property damage, theft and fire claims) on behalf of insurers. Helen also has experience of a wide range of claims against insurance brokers. Her current caseload includes claims relating to non-disclosure, fraud, and failure to procure adequate cover across a range of different types of insurance.
Finally, Helen has experience of freezing injunctions, attempts to restrain parties from leaving the jurisdiction, Norwich Pharmacal and Bankers Trust orders.