“A creative thinker with a good analytical mind, she is fast, decisive and insightful.” – Legal 500, 2019
“Efficient at understanding the brief – she has no weaknesses.” – Legal 500, 2018
Recognised as a Leading Sports Junior by Legal 500, Pippa has a sizeable sports law practice which includes acting for athletes, coaches and governing bodies. She has experience of cases across the sports law spectrum, including matters involving selection, doping, funding, disciplinary, governance and contracts. Her experience includes advising on and representing parties in contentious matters that proceed to hearings. In addition, she has experience of advising on non-contentious issues and of drafting in a sports law context.
Examples of her work include:
- Acting (led by Dan Saoul) in UKAD v Buttifant, a case which raised issues regarding intention and contamination.
- Acting for a tennis player charged by the ITF with refusing or failing to provide a sample.
- Acting in an FA Rule K arbitration for a respondent football club.
- Acting in a claim arising from breaches of a host and promoter agreement relating to an international motor racing event.
- Acting in a claim relating to the funding of a series of friendly matches involving a national football team.
- Advising England Boxing on various legal issues, including challenges by boxers to bout results, selection disputes, trade mark infringement and membership. Pippa recently represented England Boxing at a full-day disciplinary tribunal hearing.
- Acting (led by Dan Saoul) for a Welsh rugby player charged with an anti-doping offence. The case required detailed consideration of the factual and expert scientific expert and challenged the approach taken in various previous authorities to the interpretation of the 2015 WADA Code rules in relation to cheating.
- Assisting and advising (with Dan Saoul) in respect of an athlete’s challenge to the refusal by Glasgow 2014 and the Home Office to allow the athlete to compete at the Commonwealth Games 2014 on the basis of a criminal conviction.
- Advising the British Wrestling Association on various legal matters, including selection policies, its constitution and various governance issues, its Betting and Wagering Policy and on disputes regarding funding and rental relief.
- Acting on behalf of a senior sports coach challenging a National Governing Body’s refusal to grant her the highest coaching certificate. This proceeded to a full-day hearing in front of an ad hoc tribunal panel. As part of its ruling, various National Governing Bodies have been required to re-write their appeals process for the top level coaching certificate.
- Acting for athletes accused of doping offences and seeking to challenge their bans. Pippa has experience of acting for athletes charged under the 2009 and 2015 WADA Codes.
Pippa is willing to consider instructions on a pro bono basis where appropriate.