“She is hard working, leaves no stone unturned and is excellent technically. One to watch.” – Legal 500, 2021
“She is a rising star and is just very straightforward in her advice and advocacy – she makes complex things simple.” – Chambers & Partners, 2021
“Bright, responsive, down to earth, and user-friendly.” – Legal 500, 2020
“An extremely personable barrister who puts her clients at ease but turns into a rottweiler in court.” “She is very effective in her presentation to the judge and has a professional way of dealing with discussions between parties.” – Chambers & Partners, 2020
Professional liability forms a substantial part of Pippa’s practice and she is recognised by both Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 as a leading junior in this area. Pippa has advised and acted for claimants and defendants in professional liability actions involving solicitors, barristers, accountants / auditors, IFAs, surveyors, insurance brokers, construction professionals and other professionals.
During pupillage Pippa assisted with the preparation of the Respondent’s case for the appeal to the Supreme Court in Jones v Kaney  UKSC 13 (the case which abolished expert witness immunity from suit).
Accountants, Auditors & Tax Advisers
Pippa has substantial experience of claims for and against accountants, auditors and tax advisers. Recent examples of her work include:
- Acting (led by Ben Hubble QC) in a substantial claim against company accountants for negligent advice in relation to a failed offshore investment.
- Acting (led by Graham Chapman QC) in a large claim relating to negligent tax advice in relation to a round-the-world tax scheme: Evans v PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP  EWHC 2350 and  EWHC 1505.
- Acting for a Hong Kong based auditor facing a substantial claim for negligence for failing to detect management fraud.
- Advising a large accountancy firm in relation to limitation issues in respect of historic claims.
- Acting in a claim in relation to negligent advice on the appropriate tax treatment of and legally effective route to effect a share repurchase by the company of a director’s shares.
- Advising and acting for Singaporean auditors in relation to their potential liability in a substantial claim relating to allegations of failing to detect employee fraud in a large Singaporean company.
- Acting for accountants in a case relating to tax treatment of partnership property.
- Acting for accountants in a case relating VAT registration.
- Acting for claimants in claims relating to a SDLT mitigation scheme which was retrospectively outlawed.
- Various claims relating to failed tax mitigation schemes (including film finance schemes).
Pippa is experienced at acting for and against construction professionals. Her practice in this area is complemented by her “pure” construction practice. Recent examples of her work include:
- Acting on behalf of a defendant architect in relation to a claim for failing to obtain planning permission and/or advise of the risks of proceeding without planning permission in relation to a high-value residential property development in London.
- Representing a project manager involved in the re-building of a traditional Cornish farmhouse.
Pippa has acted in cases involving solicitors, barristers, costs draftsmen / lawyers and notaries.
She has experience of cases involving conveyancing, lost litigation, privilege, underlying family and criminal proceedings, probate and (wasted) costs. She has advised on the tracing of assets and in various claims brought by the estate and/or beneficiaries. Pippa’s experience in professional liability is complemented by her costs practice.
Recent examples of her work include:
- Acting (led by Ben Hubble QC) for the defendant solicitors in a substantial case relating to matrimonial proceedings and security for payments.
- Acting (led by Roger Stewart QC and Graham Chapman QC) on behalf of a hedge fund suing the French office of an international law firm for breaches of duty relating to the enforcement of a Eur 20m loan. The case (Fortelus Special Situations Master Fund Ltd v Fried Frank Harris Shriver & Jacobson) was selected as one of the Lawyer’s Top 20 cases for 2016.
- Acting (led by Ben Hubble QC and Graham Chapman QC) for defendant solicitors alleged to have been negligent in performing the due diligence and verification of a company seeking public listing on the Alternative Investment Market. The claim for $65m settled shortly before trial.
- Appearing as sole counsel against two QCs in a 14-day appeal relating to a solicitor and/or costs draftsmen’s misconduct in costs proceedings. The matter was subsequently been appealed to the Court of Appeal where it is the leading case on misconduct in costs proceedings: Gempride v Bamrah  EWCA Civ 1367.
- Acting (as junior Counsel) in a very high-value claim relating to allegedly negligent advice provided by solicitors and Counsel in the context of Court of Protection proceedings.
- Various successful strike out applications on behalf of barristers sued by former clients in criminal and civil proceedings.
- Successfully defending various wasted costs applications against lawyers.
- Advising in various lost litigation claims where opportunities for settlement and/or costs savings were missed during the course of the underlying claim.
Various instructions arising from claims by mortgage lenders against professionals where unpaid mortgage loans have resulted in a shortfall on the sale of the security.
Financial Services Professionals
Pippa has varied experience of claims against IFAs and other financial services professionals. She has experience of claims relating to tax mitigation schemes, pensions, failures to implement client instructions and failures in relation to assessment of client risk appetite.
Insurance Brokers & Agents
Pippa has experience of bringing and defending claims against insurance brokers. This is complemented by her practice in insurance law. Her experience of such claims includes experience in relation to disclosure, notification of circumstances to insurers and negligent placing of insurance.
Recent examples of her work include:
- Acting for a claimant firm of IFAs in a Commercial Court claim against their former professional indemnity insurance brokers. The claim alleges failures in relation to advice on disclosure.
- Acting for a defendant insurance broker in a claim relating to fire damage to a hotel for which the insurer has purported to avoid the policy on grounds of deliberate or reckless non-disclosure.
- Acting for a defendant insurance broker in a claim relating to a motor policy and alleged non-disclosure of criminal convictions of one of the drivers.
Pippa has significant experience of bringing and defending claims against surveyors and valuers.
Recent examples of her work include:
- Defending a surveyor alleged to have failed to identify Japanese knotweed during a residential mortgage valuation. The case was dismissed and costs awarded to the defendant following a three-day trial.
- Defending a surveyor jointly instructed by the parties to perform a rent review valuation.
- Acting for a property owner suing surveyors for failing to identify damp and/or other serious defects in a high-value home during a building survey.
- Various claims by banks relating to valuation of mortgage securities.