Will joined 4 New Square in October 2020 following the successful completion of his pupillage under the supervision of Shail Patel, Tim Chelmick and Lucy Colter. He is developing a broad commercial practice across Chambers’ core areas of work, with a particular focus on civil fraud, commercial litigation and arbitration, insurance and professional liability. He appears frequently in both the High Court and County Court and is regularly instructed both as sole Counsel and working as part of a larger team.
Current and recent highlights of Will’s practice include:
- Vneshprombank LLC v Bedzhamov: instructed as part of a large Counsel team (led by Justin Fenwick QC) in the defence of a £1.3 billion fraud claim arising out of the collapse of a Russian bank
- Multiplex Construction Europe Ltd v Bathgate Realisations Civil Engineering Ltd  EWHC 590 (TCC);  PNLR 19: Will (led by Lucy Colter) acted for the defendant insurer in this important and widely reported decision on tortious duties of care in the context of construction projects. The claim, which was pleaded at £12m+ and concerned the construction of the 100 Bishopsgate tower in the City of London, was dismissed following a three-day preliminary issue trial before Fraser J in the TCC
- Instructed in a multi-million pound claim against a firm of solicitors arising out of the liquidation of a SPV and the failed defence of a conspiracy claim (led by Patrick Lawrence QC and Tim Chelmick)
- FCA v Arch Insurance (UK) Ltd  EWHC 2448 (Comm): instructed (while still a pupil) by three non-participating insurers in relation to issues arising from the Business Interruption insurance test case
- Instructed by a PLC in the defence of a claim brought by a private equity firm and arising out of the £200m+ acquisition of a manufacturing business (led by Hugh Jory QC)
Prior to commencing pupillage, Will read Philosophy, Politics and Economics at Oriel College, Oxford, where he was awarded an Academic Scholarship and graduated with First Class Honours (7th highest in year). He completed the Graduate Diploma in Law at City, University of London with Distinction (4th highest in year) and also won the Jean Monnet Prize for EU Law, before undertaking the Bar Professional Training Course as a Lord Justice Holker Scholar of Gray’s Inn. While at school, Will represented England at the World Schools Debating Championships, winning the tournament in 2014 while also being named the best individual speaker.