Acting for the Respondent in an ICC arbitration said to be worth over USD $500 million arising out of a tolling agreement relating to a liquified natural gas plant project in the Middle East.
Matthieu Gregoire practices international arbitration, commercial dispute resolution and public international law.
Since joining the Bar, Matthieu has:
- Acted and/or advised in matters before all levels of English courts, in commercial and international disputes.
- Acted and/or advised in numerous investment treaty arbitrations, brought across many sectors and pursuant to a wide array of investment treaties, with experience of most major arbitration rules (including ICSID, SCC, UNCITRAL and ad hoc rules). Matthieu’s recent experience includes disputes under the OIC Investment Agreement and intra-EU BITs.
- Acted and/or advised in numerous commercial arbitrations, with experience of most major arbitration rules (ICC, LCIA, SCC, UNCITRAL), across a broad range of sectors and industries, and covering a variety of foreign laws as the applicable law.
- Advised States, non-governmental organisations, private commercial entities and private individuals on a diversity of commercial, arbitration and public international law issues, including treaty interpretation, WTO/Trade law, and implications of Brexit. Matthieu was appointed to the Attorney General’s Public International Law C Panel of Counsel in 2017.
- Legal 500: international arbitration: 2020/2021: “very smart, hard worker, perfectly bilingual (English/French), and also very personable.”
- Legal 500: public international law: 2020/2021: “he is a pleasure to work with, very able, hard working and dedicated. In addition to being dual qualified (France and England), he speaks and writes in both French and English to a native standard.”
- Who’s Who UK Bar 2020: arbitration: “a strong and measured advocate” with “a magnificent mind“; “Matt has excellent judgment and cuts through to the essence of any issue“.
- Who’s Who Global 2020: “future leader” in international arbitration.
- Legal 500: arbitration: 2019/2020: “thorough and detailed and has a comprehensive knowledge of the law”.
- Who’s Who UK Bar 2019: arbitration: “thorough, detailed” and “able to distil large amounts of information into compelling arguments”.
Prior to joining the Bar, Matthieu qualified as a New York attorney in 2011 and worked as an associate in the international arbitration team of Cleary Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton, in Paris and as a consultant for the World Bank.