Jonathan has a versatile practice across a range of Chambers’ areas of expertise, with a focus on international and commercial law. He is a member of the Attorney General’s Panel of C Counsel for Public International Law and is ranked in Legal 500 for his work on European law and EU withdrawal where he is commended by Silks for “the way he sparks off ideas”.
Since joining the Bar, Jonathan has:
- acted as counsel and legal adviser to States, corporations, private individuals and NGOs in some of the most significant recent legal matters (e.g. EU withdrawal, the ICJ Chagos Request for an Advisory Opinion and Micula v Romania enforcement proceedings);
- developed a unique public international law advisory practice, where he works with clients on an ongoing and long-term basis to find solutions to complex legal and policy issues;
- represented clients in cases at all levels of the English courts (High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court);
- been invited to appear amicus curiae before the Appeals Chamber of the International Criminal Court;
- acted for clients in arbitration proceedings under most of the major arbitral rules (e.g. ICC, UNCITRAL, LCIA);
- acted against States in arbitration enforcement proceedings before the English Courts, and acted for private parties in arbitration-related court proceedings;
- acted for Governments, opposition groups and private parties during multiple high stakes international negotiations, peace processes and cases before the UN (e.g. Sudan’s peace process and the Syrian peace process; cases before the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention, UN Special Rapporteurs and Universal Periodic Reviews; constitutional negotiations);
- been engaged by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office to act and advise on a continuing basis as an Assistant Legal Adviser for more than three years in relation to the law of treaties, EU Withdrawal, overseas territories and the law of the sea.
Jonathan is a Visiting Lecturer in public international law at King’s College London and a Senior Legal Adviser with the Public International Law & Policy Group in Washington DC. He has published and spoken widely on international law and maintains a keen interest on the interaction between law and diplomacy.