Helen Evans is a leading barrister practising in professional negligence, fraud, disciplinary and insurance work.
Helen is ranked by the legal directories as a leading junior in the fields of professional liability, insurance and professional discipline. She has recently been nominated as Chambers and Partners’ Junior of the Year in the Professional Negligence category. In 2019 she was identified by Who’s Who Legal as one of the two most highly regarded juniors at the professional negligence bar and she is identified as a “tier 1” junior in the Legal 500. Recent comments from the directories include:
- “She is in a class of her own: wonderfully hands-on and pitch perfect in her ability to grasp the issues.”
- “Formidable on paper, on her feet, and in cross-examination.”
- “Helen Evans stands out as one of the most highly regarded barristers in the field. Peers regard her as “thorough and meticulous”, and say she “can unpick the most complicated of cases”.”
- “Highly sought after for her professional negligence expertise and…considered a go-to by solicitors.”
- “She is an extremely skilled tactician and a joy to watch in court.”
- “Helen Evans is hailed as a “rigorous and immensely hard-working” advocate who “has an intense intellect and is terrifyingly intelligent.”
- “The exceptionally strong quality of Helen Evans’ work stands out to interviewees. They comment that “she is not afraid of standing up and fighting for a point.”
- “She provides technically excellent advice and is a real fighter.”
- “As an advocate, she has a wonderful ability to drill down to the core facts, paring away all that is irrelevant and presenting things in a clear and reasoned manner.”
- “She is intellectually brilliant, a clear thinker who cuts to the chase, and has exceptional knowledge of professional indemnity insurance. One of the most thorough barristers I have ever dealt with.”
Helen is particularly known for her expertise in claims against accountants, auditors, other financial professionals and lawyers as well as her fraud and disciplinary work. Her work increasingly has an offshore, corporate or insolvency element.
Accountants, auditors and other financial professionals: Helen’s recent experience includes claims about a wide variety of negligent tax and investment advice, and numerous claims against auditors arising from frauds. Helen’s professional liability practice sits alongside her disciplinary work in the field, and she has in depth knowledge of both accountancy and financial services regulation. She has acted for several of the UK’s leading accountancy firms as well as many other national firms. She has appeared before the FRC and been involved in advising on FRC investigations, as well as other accountancy regulators.
Lawyers: Helen is involved in high profile claims against solicitors and barristers. Many of her cases have a very high value and some involve offshore or cross-border elements. Recent examples of her work include a Court of Appeal case on abuse of process in 2020, proceedings against solicitors by 4 BVI hedge funds, and several multi-million claims against solicitors arising out of advice on commercial transactions. Helen has acted on a wide range of claims against lawyers and is co-editor of the solicitors’ and barristers’ chapters in Jackson & Powell on Professional Liability (with Hugh Evans). She also undertakes disciplinary work, including proceedings before the Solicitors’ Disciplinary Tribunal and the Bar Tribunal.
Other professionals and corporate work: Helen has experience of a broad range of disputes against surveyors and valuers (many of which have involved alleged large scale frauds). She also handles litigation by and against insurance brokers, insolvency practitioners, companies and company directors.
Civil fraud: Helen is known for her work handling complex long running fraud cases as well as numerous urgent applications for freezing and proprietary injunctions, Norwich Pharmacal and Bankers Trust orders. In 2020 Helen also appeared in both the High Court and Court of Appeal on committal proceedings against a solicitor.
Insurance: Helen’s practice involves a number of insurance disputes but particularly those involving business interruption, credit risk, professional indemnity and other management insurance. Examples of her current or recent work include being involved in a high profile coverage dispute relating to a solicitor’s involvement in a fraud, managed arbitrations arising from Covid-19 and a multi-party claim against insurance agents.