George Spalton specialises in commercial litigation and arbitration.
He is one of the most experienced commercial juniors at the Bar and is rated in Chambers and Partners / Legal 500 in the following seven areas (as well as being listed as a ‘Future Leader’ by Who’s Who):
- International Commercial Arbitration (nominated as Junior of the Year in 2016),
- Commercial Litigation,
- Professional Liability,
- Professional Disciplinary and Regulatory work,
- Insurance and Reinsurance; and,
- Sports law.
George has particular experience of high-value and high-profile international and cross-border work and has been involved in cases in a number of jurisdictions in recent years including BVI (called in 2015), Cayman Islands, Trinidad, Dubai, Oman, Hong Kong and Singapore. He also accepts appointments as arbitrator and has acted as sole arbitrator and co-arbitrator in LCIA, ICC and ICAC arbitrations.
Consistent with George’s range of experience, in the last 2 years he has acted in a number of important reported cases, led and unled, including 8 hearings in the Court of Appeal and Privy Council:
- Catlin Syndicate Limited & Others v Amec Foster Wheeler USA Corp  EWHC 2530 (Comm) – anti-suit injunction; decision of Jacobs J
- Elite Property Holdings Limited; Decolace Properties Limited v BDO LLP  EWHC 1937 (Comm) (successful strike out of claim against BDO including on basis of abuse of process)
- Stephenson Harwood LLP v (1) Medien Patentverwaltung AG; (2) Michael Kagan (as administrator)  EWHC 1889 (Ch) – jurisdiction appeal in stakeholder action.
- Towergate Financial (Group) Limited v Hopkinson  EWHC 984 (Comm) – trial concerning SPA in Commercial Court.
- HPII UK Ltd & Another v Ruhan & Stevens  EWHC 233 (Comm) (security for costs in the Commercial Court).
- Al-Hasawi & NFFI Ltd v Nottingham Forest Football Club Limited  EWCA Civ 2242 (appeal on construction of clause in an SPA).
- A v B  (decision of Jacobs J in Commercial Court) – Successfully obtaining anti-suit injunction restraining proceedings in Tel Aviv in favour of LCIA arbitration.
- Al-Hasawi & NFFI Ltd v Nottingham Forest Football Club Limited  EWHC 1287 (Ch) (acting for Nottingham Forest at trial in dispute arising out of an SPA).
- Euro Pools Plc v Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Plc  EWCA Civ 808 (Court of Appeal: notification of claims in PI insurance policy).
- Law Society v Ete & Others  EWHC 864 (Ch) (urgent application for delivery up under Solicitors Act 1974 on behalf of Law Society).
- Palliser v Fate Ltd & Ors  EWHC 43 (QB)
- Towergate Financial (Group) Ltd v Hopkinson & Others  (Court of Appeal: concerning construction of an SPA).
- Livingston Properties; Nimati & others v JSC MCC Eurochem BVI HCMAP 2016/0042-0046 (BVI Court of Appeal – Jurisdiction Challenge).
- Dreymoor Fertilisers Overseas Pte Ltd v Eurochem Trading GMBH & JSS MCC EuroChem  EWHC 2267 – anti-suit and anti-enforcement injunction in Commercial Court (section 44 of the Arbitration Act 1996).
- Dreymoor Fertilisers Overseas Pte Ltd v Eurochem Trading GMBH  EWHC 909 (Comm) – jurisdiction challenges under ss. 32 and 67 Arbitration Act 1996.
- Euro Pools Plc (In Administration) v Royal and Sun Alliance Insurance Plc  EWHC 46 (Comm), an insurance dispute in the Commercial Court.
- Premier Motorauctions Ltd (In Liquidation) v PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP  EWCA Civ 1872
- Dalecroft Ltd v Certain Lloyds Underwriters  EWHC 1263 (Comm), an insurance coverage dispute.
- TJH and Sons Consultancy Limited v CPP Group Plc  EWCA Civ 46; construction of consultancy agreement.
- Adamovsky and Stockman Interhold SA v Andriy Malitskiy and Igor Filipenko  BVI HC MAP 2014/0031 and 2014/0022 – unfair prejudice petition in BVI.
- Wright v Lewis Silkin  EWCA Civ 1308, claim against solicitors arising out of Indian Premier League cricket contract.
In 2012 George was named as one of ten ‘Stars of the Bar’ in a survey by Legal Week, having previously been named in the 2010 version as a ‘Highly Commended’ Junior.
George has been appointed to European Users’ Council of the LCIA for a three year term from 2019 and has been appointed to the Executive Committee of COMBAR (the Commercial Bar Association) for 2020/2021, having previously been elected to the committee from 2013 to 2016 and having acted as Chair of Junior COMBAR from 2011 to 2013. He was on the Executive Committee of the PNBA from 2016-2018.
In May 2015 George was called to the Bar of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (British Virgin Islands).
Click here for the Transparency Statement for George Spalton.