George Spalton specialises in commercial litigation and arbitration, with a particular focus on the following areas: (i) international commercial arbitration, (ii) offshore work, (iii) civil fraud, (iv) construction law, (v) professional liability claims (including professional disciplinary work), (vi) insurance and (vii) sports.
He has extensive experience of high-value and high-profile international and cross-border work and has been involved in cases in a number of jurisdictions in recent years including BVI (called in 2015), Cayman Islands, Trinidad, Dubai, Oman, Hong Kong and Singapore. He also accepts appointments as arbitrator and has acted as sole arbitrator and co-arbitrator in LCIA and ICAC arbitrations.
George is rated in Who’s Who Legal as a ‘Future Leader’ and is rated in Chambers and Partners / Legal 500 in six areas:
- International Commercial Arbitration (nominated as Junior of the Year in 2016),
- Commercial Litigation,
- Professional Liability,
- Professional Disciplinary and Regulatory work, and,
In the last 18 months George has acted in a number of important reported cases, led and unled, including in England and the BVI:
- Towergate Financial (Group) Ltd v Hopkinson & Others  (Court of Appeal): concerning construction of an SPA.
- Livingston Properties; Nimati & others v JSC MCC Eurochem BVI HCMAP 2016/0042-0046 (BVI Court of Appeal – Jurisdiction Challenge)
- Dreymoor Fertilisers Overseas Pte Ltd v Eurochem Trading GMBH & JSS MCC EuroChem  EWHC 2267 – anti-suit and anti-enforcement injunction in Commercial Court (section 44 of the Arbitration Act 1996).
- Dreymoor Fertilisers Overseas Pte Ltd v Eurochem Trading GMBH  EWHC 909 (Comm) – jurisdiction challenges under ss. 32 and 67 Arbitration Act 1996.
- Euro Pools Plc (In Administration) v Royal and Sun Alliance Insurance Plc  EWHC 46 (Comm), an insurance coverage dispute in the Commercial Court.
- Premier Motorauctions Ltd (In Liquidation) v PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP  EWCA Civ 1872, important security for costs decision in the Court of Appeal
- Dalecroft Ltd v Certain Lloyds Underwriters  EWHC 1263 (Comm), an insurance coverage dispute.
- TJH and Sons Consultancy Limited v CPP Group Plc  EWCA Civ 46; construction of consultancy agreement.
- Adamovsky and Stockman Interhold SA v Andriy Malitskiy and Igor Filipenko  BVI HC MAP 2014/0031 and 2014/0022 – unfair prejudice petition in BVI.
- Wright v Lewis Silkin  EWCA Civ 1308, claim against solicitors arising out of Indian Premier League cricket contract.
In 2012 George was named as one of ten ‘Stars of the Bar’ in a survey by Legal Week, having previously been named in the 2010 version as a ‘Highly Commended’ Junior.
George was on the Executive Committee of COMBAR (the Commercial Bar Association) from 2013 to 2016 and was Chair of Junior COMBAR from 2011 to 2013. He is now in the Executive Committee of the PNBA.
In May 2015 George was called to the Bar of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (British Virgin Islands).