Diarmuid Laffan has a broad commercial practice focussing on insurance/reinsurance, professional liability, construction, civil fraud and sports law. He is recognised in Legal 500’s 2021 guide as a ‘Rising Star’ for insurance, professional negligence and sports. Recent work includes:
• Instructed as junior to David Turner QC in an international reinsurance dispute.
• Instructed as junior to Dan Saoul QC in a pending High Court civil fraud claim.
• Acted as junior to Siân Mirchandani QC in successfully defending an adjudication claim brought by the building contractor on a substantial hospitality and leisure development against the employer’s agent.
• Instructed as junior to Roger Stewart QC in pending Commercial Court proceedings concerned with the alleged mishandling of an international arbitration.
• Acted for an international law firm in successfully contesting an application to set aside default judgment brought by an African industrial conglomerate.
• Acted successfully for an athlete charged with possession and use of a prohibited substance. The charges were dismissed following a 2-day hearing of the National Anti-Doping Panel.
• Instructed as sole counsel in advising a facilities management contractor regarding its rights, under an interface agreement, against the design & build contractor on a major PFI project.
• Advised a national insurer on fraudulent claims and on pending proceedings for the recovery of sums paid out under voided policies.
• Instructed as sole counsel in an upcoming three-day construction trial arising out of the redevelopment of a luxury home.
• Acted successfully for a national hostelry in resisting an application to bring High Court committal proceedings against one of its officers.
Click here for the Transparency Statement of Diarmuid Laffan.