Daniel Saoul QC has a commercial practice encompassing business disputes, sports law and public law. He is one of the leading barristers practising in these fields.
He took silk in 2019, after just ten years at the Bar, and was recognised by The Lawyer as one of the most outstanding barristers taking silk that year. Previously, in 2018 he was recognised by Who’s Who Legal in their “Rising Stars” feature, which highlights barristers operating at a level beyond their call, and before that he twice featured in Legal Week’s “Stars at the Bar” report.
The legal directories rank him as a leading silk in six areas: commercial dispute resolution, international arbitration, civil fraud, professional negligence, sports law and costs litigation. Prior to taking silk he was also a member of the Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel, and he continues to advise UK Government departments and agencies on sensitive and complex legal matters.
His practice is wide-ranging, spanning the full spectrum of commercial and financial matters, as well as sports law and cases engaging public law considerations. He is frequently instructed in cases involving alleged fraud, dishonesty or corruption, cases with an international or cross-border aspect, including international arbitrations and litigation in overseas jurisdictions, and cases with a regulatory dimension. He is also an expert in the law relating to solicitors’ costs, typically acting in matters connected with substantial commercial litigation.
He has appeared in leading cases across all of his areas of expertise, both at trial and appellate level, including as advocate in the Supreme Court. He is a highly experienced cross-examiner and also has substantial experience of heavyweight and often urgent applications, including for freezing and other injunctive relief, as well as for committal for contempt of Court.
Recent comments from Chambers & Partners, Legal 500 and Who’s Who Legal include:
- “Absolutely outstanding. He is the complete counsel: he has a brilliant intellect, he’s always able to find one extra first-rate point of argument, he’s excellent at paperwork and he’s a particularly outstanding advocate”
- “He commands the court and is extremely eloquent”
- “Has a razor-sharp mind combined with thoroughly commercial instincts”
- “Incredibly astute and intelligent”
- “His commerciality and passionate advocacy make him stand out from the crowd”
- “A tough opponent, who knows his stuff and will always give you a hard fight”
- “Technically excellent and has an excellent feel for a case, he is exceptionally good to work with”
- “Excellent strategically, he integrates himself seamlessly into the team”
- “He creates solutions to complex problems”
Dan joined 4 New Square after training and practising as a solicitor-advocate at City firm Herbert Smith (now Herbert Smith Freehills). He has also worked as a litigator in the British Virgin Islands for leading offshore firm Conyers Dill & Pearman and was called to the Bar of the BVI in 2009.
He has served on the Executive Committee of both the Commercial Bar Association (COMBAR) and the British Association for Sport and Law (BASL).
More information about Dan’s specific areas of practice is set out below.