Daniel Saoul QC has a broad commercial practice encompassing business disputes, sports law, public law and costs. He is one of the leading barristers practising in these fields.
His practice is wide-ranging and he is frequently instructed in cases spanning different aspects of his expertise, including in disputes involving alleged fraud, dishonesty and corruption, disciplinary and regulatory matters and cases with an international or cross-border aspect, including international arbitrations and cases in overseas jurisdictions. He was called to the Bar of the British Virgin Islands in 2009.
The legal directories rank him as a leading barrister in six areas: commercial dispute resolution, international arbitration, civil fraud, professional negligence, sports law and costs litigation. Prior to taking silk he was also a member of the Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel, and he continues to advise UK Government departments and agencies on sensitive and complex legal matters.
In 2019 he was featured by The Lawyer as one of the most outstanding barristers taking silk that year. Previously, in 2018 he was recognised by Who’s Who Legal in their “Rising Stars” feature, which highlights barristers operating at a level beyond their call, and before that he twice featured in Legal Week’s “Stars at the Bar” report.
He has appeared in leading cases across all of his areas of expertise, both at trial and appellate level. He also has substantial experience of heavyweight and often urgent applications, including for freezing and other interim relief.
Recent comments from Chambers & Partners, Legal 500 and Who’s Who Legal include:
- “Absolutely outstanding. He is the complete counsel: he has a brilliant intellect, he’s always able to find one extra first-rate point of argument, he’s excellent at paperwork and he’s a particularly outstanding advocate“
- “He doesn’t seem to be frightened of anything or anybody“
- “Has a razor-sharp mind combined with thoroughly commercial instincts”
- “His commerciality and passionate advocacy make him stand out from the crowd“
- “A tough opponent, who knows his stuff and will always give you a hard fight“
- “Incredibly user-friendly, innovative and a real details man“
- “Very commercial, very thorough and also very creative“
- “A modern barrister, who offers clients a 360 degree view“
- “He has a fantastic understanding of what solicitors need from a barrister“
- “He delivers a seamless service to clients“
Dan joined 4 New Square after training and practising as a solicitor-advocate at City firm Herbert Smith (now Herbert Smith Freehills). He has also worked as a litigator in the British Virgin Islands for leading offshore firm Conyers Dill & Pearman.
He has served on the Executive Committee of both the Commercial Bar Association (COMBAR) and the British Association for Sport and Law (BASL).
More information about Dan’s specific areas of practice is set out below.