Ben Smiley has a broad commercial practice, with a particular focus on international disputes, insurance, financial services, arbitration, disciplinary proceedings, professional liability work, insolvency, costs and sport.
He advises on, and appears regularly in, trials, appeals, applications and interlocutory hearings in domestic and international courts and tribunals, as sole or junior counsel.
More detail in respect of the areas in which Ben accepts instructions can be found below.
Ben is named a “Leading Junior” in Chambers & Partners 2017 and 2018, and Legal 500. He is described as:
- ‘An impressive junior with strong analytical skills.’
- ‘flexible in his methods and modern in his approach.’
- ‘incredibly charming, hands-on and [someone who] always responds.’
- ‘An up-and-coming star, who has a keen mind and an engaging approach.’
- ‘Always first-rate. Very slick, personable and hard working. He beats deadlines and is ahead of the game.’
Ben has undertaken secondments at international law firms and the Financial Services Authority (now the Financial Conduct Authority), working on international commercial cases, insurance matters, financial services regulation, professional liability work and sports disputes.
Just as comfortable providing advice as making submissions, and equally adept at written work as in court or conference, Ben has a keen understanding of the needs and objectives of solicitors, insurers and lay clients. He is happy to accept instructions in matters which cross the spectrum of Chambers’ work.