Anthony Jones has a broad practice in commercial law, international arbitration, insurance, professional liability, public international law, and human rights. Anthony has extensive experience before domestic and international tribunals, with current and recent instructions before the Supreme Court, Court of Appeal, the European Court of Human Rights, the EU Courts, and ICSID arbitral tribunals, as well as in a range of offshore jurisdictions (Antigua, Barbados, the Isle of Man, and St Vincent and the Grenadines).
In recent years, Anthony has acted in a number of important cases, led and unled, including:
- Financial Conduct Authority v MS Amlin and others  UKSC 1 and  EWHC 2448 (Comm) – acted for Royal & Sun Alliance in the Supreme Court and Commercial Court in the high-profile litigation regarding business interruption insurance responses to the Covid-19 pandemic
- Re Edwardian Group Ltd  EWHC 1715 (Ch) – acted for the successful minority shareholder in a £150 million seven-week unfair prejudice petition regarding the management of the UK’s largest family-owned hotel group
- Khanty-Mansiysk Recoveries Ltd v Forsters LLP  EWCA Civ 89 and  EWHC 522 (Comm) – acted for the successful defendant to a £75 million claim arising out of investments in Russia (one of The Lawyer’s Top 20 Cases)
- BPE Solicitors v Hughes-Holland  2 WLR 1029 (UKSC) – acted for the successful appellant in this ground-breaking case before the Supreme Court concerning the SAAMCo approach to the scope of professional duties
- R (Campaign Against Arms Trade) v Secretary of State for International Trade  EWCA Civ 1020 and  EWHC 1754 (Admin) – acting at first instance and on appeal for leading NGOs in the challenge to UK arms exports to Saudi Arabia for use in the Yemen conflict (one of The Lawyer’s Top 20 Cases)
- Wikimedia v Turkey (European Court of Human Rights, 2019-21) – acting for the Wikimedia Foundation in its challenge against the Turkish government’s decision to block access to Wikipedia
- Hanan v Germany (European Court of Human Rights, 2019-20) – acting before the Grand Chamber in this significant case on the extraterritorial application of the European Convention to airstrikes in Afghanistan
- C-458/19 P ClientEarth v European Commission (CJEU, 2018-19) – acting as sole counsel in the EU General Court and now on appeal to the CJEU in a challenge to a European Commission chemical approval, raising the compliance of EU law with the EU’s public international law obligations under the UN Aarhus Convention
Anthony is listed as a leading junior in Professional Negligence by both Chambers & Partners and the Legal 500, and as a leading junior (Band 2) in Civil Liberties and Human Rights by Legal 500. In 2019 he was appointed a member of the Equality and Human Rights Commission Panel of Counsel.
Qualifications & Memberships
Anthony holds a BA in Law with First Class Honours and prizes from University College, Oxford. He also holds an MA and BA in Classical Chinese with First Class Honours and the University Medal (first in year) from the University of Sydney, and a Diploma in Chinese from Beijing Yuyan Daxue (University of Languages and Cultures). Anthony was ranked Outstanding on the BPTC, for which he held the top scholarship from Middle Temple.
Prior to coming to the bar, Anthony worked for five years in the civil service in Australia, acting as special advisor to the former Australian Foreign Minister and Premier of New South Wales, and to the former Attorney-General of New South Wales.
Click here for the Transparency Statement for Anthony Jones.