4 New Square is home to a number of barristers with experience of differing aspects of product liability law, from contractual disputes between commercial entities about defective goods to multi-party or single claimant actions concerning consumer products. Members of chambers are consistently mentioned as leaders in this field of work by The Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners.
Individuals appeared in the leading case in England & Wales on the interpretation of the Consumer Protection Act 1987 and the European Product Liability Directive, but members of Chambers have also appeared in a wide range of product liability cases apart from that. There is a wealth of experience and expertise in dealing with pharmaceutical or medical related product liability litigation, as well as members of Chambers conducting and defending claims relating to other types of consumer products, foodstuffs and industrial products or equipment, particularly claims arising out of fires.
Work done by members of Chambers includes:
- the Atomic Veterans litigation
- the BSE litigation
- the Buncefield litigation
- the Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease litigation
- the foot and mouth epidemic
- the hepatitis C litigation
- the HIV-Haemophilia litigation
- the Porton Down litigation
- the tobacco litigation
- claims relating to pharmaceutical or medical products such as Aspirin, Benzodiazepam, dopamine agonist drugs (for Parkinson’s disease), foetal anti convulsants, MMR, Myodil, Opren, Seroquel, TGN1412, Valium, Vigabatrin, Vioxx, Zyprexa, pacemakers, prosthetic joints, skin fillers, surgical glue