“He is excellent and has expertise and wisdom beyond his years” (Legal 500, 2016).
“A junior who is going places; he is hardworking, incisive and good with clients” (Legal 500, 2015).
Tom has a commercial practice, with particular specialisms in: Banking & Financial Services, Civil Fraud, Commercial disputes, Insurance and Professional Liability.
He has significant trial experience in both arbitration and litigation, particularly as sole counsel. He has also appeared in the Court of Appeal as sole counsel. His caseload includes issues of jurisdiction and foreign law (e.g. Caribbean, Middle East and Italian).
Recent cases include:
- Godfrey Morgan Solicitors (a firm) v Mr Michael Armes  EWCA Civ 323: sole counsel in Court of Appeal; concerning CPR 19.5
- Pietro Gatto (T/A AG Avvocati Gatto) v Allianz SPA (2017) LTL 20/2/2017: sole counsel for insurers in coverage dispute (Italian law)
- Seery v Leathes Prior (a firm)  EWHC 80 (QB): sole counsel defending claim against a firm of solicitors
- Rahim v Arch Insurance Co (Europe) Ltd  EWHC 2967 (Comm): junior counsel (led by Graham Chapman QC) in coverage dispute
- Arbitration between IAAF v Rita Jeptoo (2016): ad-hoc clerk to Court of Arbitration for Sport in anti-doping rule violation dispute
- Arbitration between X v Y (2016): junior counsel (led by Roger Stewart QC and Anneliese Day QC) in a claim by a joint venture in relation to a nuclear installation
- Eyland & Sons Ltd v (1) TSL Turton (2014) Ltd (2) Steven Bond  EWHC 3942 (QB): sole counsel resisting claim for conversion, causing loss by unlawful means and conspiracy
- Arbitration between X v Y (2015): sole counsel in a dispute about responsibility for payment of insurance premiums against Clive Freedman QC
- D & G Cars Ltd v Essex Police Authority  EWHC 226 (QB): junior counsel (led by Patrick Lawrence QC) resisting claims of conspiracy and corruption in a police force