Pippa has advised and acted for claimants and defendants in professional negligence actions involving solicitors, barristers, accountants, surveyors, insurance brokers, construction professionals (including architects and interior designers), letting agents and bailiffs. Her experience of lenders’ claims is complemented by varied experience of mortgage-related litigation.
In terms of lawyers’ liabilities, she has experience of cases involving conveyancing, lost litigation, privilege, underlying family and criminal proceedings, probate and (wasted) costs. Pippa has advised on the tracing of assets and in various claims brought by the estate and/or beneficiaries.
During pupillage Pippa assisted with the preparation of the Respondent’s case for the appeal to the Supreme Court in Jones v Kaney  UKSC 13 (the case which abolished expert witness immunity from suit).
Accountants, Auditors & Actuaries
- Pippa is currently instructed by the claimant in a claim against company accountants in relation to negligence in advising on the appropriate tax treatment of and legally effective route to effect a share repurchase by the company of a director’s shares.
- Advising Singaporean auditors on their potential liability in relation to allegations of failing to detect employee fraud in a large Singaporean company. Drafting documentation for applications for pre-action discovery in the Singaporean Courts and an appeal from the same decision.
- Acting for accountants in a case relating to tax treatment of partnership property.
- Acting for accountants in a case relating VAT registration.
- Acting for the claimant in a claim related to a SDLT mitigation scheme.
- Various cases relating to failed tax mitigation schemes.
- Acting (as junior Counsel) in a case relating to mis-selling of film finance investments.
Pippa is experienced at acting for and against construction professionals. Her practice in this area is complemented by her “pure” construction practice.
Pippa has experience of cases involving conveyancing, lost litigation, privilege, underlying family and criminal proceedings, probate and (wasted) costs. She has advised on the tracing of assets and in various claims brought by the estate and/or beneficiaries. Pippa’s experience in professional liability is complemented by her costs practice.
- Acting (led by Roger Stewart QC and Graham Chapman QC) on behalf of a hedge fund suing the French office of an international law firm for breaches of duty relating to the enforcement of a Eur 20m loan.
- Acting (led by Ben Hubble QC and Graham Chapman QC) for defendant solicitors alleged to have been negligent in performing the due diligence and verification of a company seeking public listing on the Alternative Investment Market. The claim for $65m settled shortly before trial.
- Appearing as sole counsel against two QCs in a 14-day appeal relating to a solicitor and/or costs draftsmen’s misconduct in costs proceedings.
- Acting (as junior Counsel) in a claim relating to allegedly negligent advice provided by solicitors and Counsel in the context of Court of Protection proceedings.
- Acting for a barrister alleged to have negotiated an unsuitable settlement of an ancillary relief claim at Court.
- Successfully defending various wasted costs applications against lawyers.
- Representing a claimant company suing its former solicitors for releasing the purchase funds for a commercial property without obtaining the necessary undertakings from the seller’s solicitors and without verifying the identity of those solicitors.
- Advising in various lost litigation claims where opportunities for settlement and/or costs savings were missed during the course of the underlying claim.
- Various instructions arising from claims by mortgage lenders against professionals where unpaid mortgage loans have resulted in a shortfall on the sale of the security.
- Pippa has experience of claims against costs lawyers
Financial Services Professionals
Pippa has varied experience of claims against IFAs and other financial services professionals. In particular, she has experience of claims relating to stamp duty land tax mitigation schemes which have been retrospectively outlawed, failures to implement client instructions and failures in relation to assessment of client risk appetite. She also has some experience of claims in relation to pensions.
Insurance Brokers & Agents
Pippa has experience of bringing and defending claims against insurance brokers. This is complemented by her practice in insurance law. Her experience of such claims includes experience in relation to disclosure, notification of circumstances to insurers and negligent placing of insurance.
She has recently been involved in claims involving brokers of home, income protection and motor insurance.
Pippa has significant experience of bringing and defending claims against surveyors and valuers.