Hugh has particular expertise in the field of construction and engineering (including construction-related professional negligence), having practised for over seven years in the specialist construction groups at Fladgate, Nabarro and White & Case. He has advised on contentious and non-contentious matters for a wide variety of projects in the UK and around the world, including petrochemical plants, LNG facilities, shipbuilding, PFI/PPP projects, power stations, data centres, hotels, shopping centres, office buildings and mixed-use developments. Having worked closely with employers, contractors, designers and other construction professionals and funding institutions, Hugh is familiar with the issues that often arise in complex construction and engineering projects and he understands that litigation or arbitration may not always be the best solution, especially in projects that are not yet completed.
Hugh has extensive experience of all of the major standard forms of construction contract, in particular the JCT suite and the various FIDIC forms used in international EPC projects. He is also familiar with issues arising in areas related to construction and engineering projects, including finance documents, bonds, guarantees, insurance and health & safety matters.
Examples of Hugh’s recent work include:
- Advising on the restructuring of a US$2.2 billion petrochemical project.
- Acting in an arbitration relating to a US$20 million claim for defects in the design, construction and maintenance of a luxury resort in east Africa.
- Representing the owner, a major UK property fund, in a claim for defects in the design and workmanship of concrete hard standings at a regional distribution centre.
- Acting for the landlord in a claim relating to defective fan coils in a central London office building.
- Appearing on behalf of the defendant in an arbitration arising out of a £500,000 dispute about a profit share in a development agreement.
- Acting for the defendant in an arbitration relating to a £1 million claim relating to a complex refurbishment project in Clerkenwell.
- Advising on a claim arising out of defective maintenance of a jet aircraft.
- Acting for a major German corporation in an inquest arising out of the death involving a piece of machinery made by the client.
In addition, Hugh is happy to accept instructions to assist and advise on “front end” non-contentious and drafting matters.