George has been ranked for commercial litigation in both major directories for a number of years.
He is regarded as one of the top juniors at the Commercial Bar and was nominated as Junior of the Year in 2016 for International Commercial Arbitration by Chambers and Partners. In addition, George was recognised as one of 10 ‘star’ juniors by Legal Week in their survey ‘Stars at the Bar’ in 2013.
- “An excellent junior, who is bright, pragmatic and user-friendly.” “A rising star with sound commercial acumen and a strong intellect, he’s thorough, communicative and a determinedly tough negotiator.” – Chambers & Partners, 2016
- ‘He explains things clearly and knows the details of the case inside out.’ – Legal 500, 2016
A sizeable portion of George’s work is in the Commercial Court and he has experience of an extremely broad range of commercial disputes, extending from conflicts of law/jurisdictional issues, enforcement, asset tracing, insurance and reinsurance, to commodities and civil fraud.
In addition to his work in the Commercial Court in London he has been instructed on disputes in a wide range of jurisdictions including Dubai, Oman, Singapore, Hong Kong, China, Vietnam, Trinidad & Tobago, BVI and the Channel Islands.
As well as acting in trials and international arbitrations (as to which please follow the link to ‘Arbitration’), George regularly appears in pre-action and interlocutory hearings such as freezing and proprietary injunctions, pre-action disclosure applications, security for costs applications and jurisdictional disputes.
Examples of recent reported decisions include:
- Towergate Financial (Group) Ltd v Clark & Others  (Comm) (Leggatt J): (led by Christopher Butcher QC)
- Dalecroft Ltd v Certain Lloyds Underwriters  EWHC 1263 (Comm)
- TJH and Sons Consultancy Limited v CPP Group Plc  EWCA Civ 46.
- Adamovsky and Stockman Interhold SA v Andriy Malitskiy and Igor Filipenko  BVI HC MAP 2014/0031 and 2014/0022
- Harlequin Property (SVG) Ltd & Harlequin Hotels and Resorts Ltd v Wilkins Kennedy  3188 EWHC (TCC)
- Stokors S.A. & Others v I G Markets Ltd; v Craigcrook Management Services Ltd  EWHC 631 (Comm)
George also has particular expertise of disputes in the corporate and offshore context, including civil fraud claims (for example acting for the Central Bank of Trinidad & Tobago in high value claims in the Caribbean), minority shareholder disputes and warranty claims (including a 3 week trial in March 2016 (Axio Data Group Holdings Ltd v UBMG Ltd) instructed by Nabarro LLP and led by Graham Chapman QC); acting for a large conglomerate in relation to a range of alleged breaches of warranties (instructed by Byrne & Partners LLP); and acting for a listed UK entity in a claim for various breaches of warranty (instructed by Herbert Smith Freehills LLP).
George was formerly Chairman of the Junior Commercial Bar Association and from 2013 to 2016 was on the Executive Committee of COMBAR.