Call: 1992 QC: 2009
David specialises in commercial insurance and reinsurance, professional liability (principally accountants (both complex tax planning and auditors’ negligence), brokers and solicitors) and commercial product liability disputes. He has been described in the Directories as “a superb courtroom performer and deadly cross-examiner”, “tactically astute with a forensic approach to detail”, “very quick thinking on his feet”, “there is no part of a case which he does not familiarise himself with. There are no corners cut, he has everything at his fingertips in court", “an excellent QC - very meticulous, thorough and measured”, having “a measured style which earns the court’s trust” and “great with clients”.
David’s practice has typically involved large-scale disputes in the Commercial Court, Chancery Division, the Technology and Construction Court and in arbitration both at home and overseas. He enjoys working as part of a large, multi-disciplinary team, and places great emphasis on identifying and pursuing a strategy which meets his client’s commercial requirements.
David accepts appointments to serve as either a sole or a party-nominated arbitrator in disputes in the UK and internationally.
David is a member of COMBAR, Tecbar and the Professional Negligence Bar Association. He is an advocacy trainer for Gray’s Inn.
David holds provisional registration in Part II of the DIFC Courts' Register of Practitioners.
David is author of the chapter on Professional Indemnity Insurance in Jackson & Powell on Professional Liability.
David’s contributions to Insurance Law Monthly include:
- Professional indemnify insurance: aggregation: AIG Europe v. OC320301 LLP
- Reinsurance: follow settlements – “all proper and businesslike steps”: Tokio Marine Europe Insurance v. Novae Corporate Underwriting
- Reinsurance: allocation of claims: Teal Assurance v. WR Berkeley Insurance
- Perils of the seas and fraudulent claims: Versloot Dredging v. HDI-Gerling Industrie Versicherung AG (The ‘DC Merwestone’)
- Follow Settlements Clauses: The ‘Buana Dua’
- Piracy: Masefield AG v. Amlin Corporate Member Ltd
- All Risks Insurance: The ‘Cendor Mopu’
- Terms of Insurance Policies: Friends Provident v. Sirius International
- Reinsurance claims: Dornoch v. Royal & SunAlliance
- Renewal of policies: Great North Eastern Railway v. Avon Insurance
David spent 17 years in the Army Reserve including spells as a Troop Leader, Regimental Operations Officer and Squadron Leader.
Since 2013 David has been a trustee of a national charity, serving additionally on its finance and medical research grants committees. He has also been a lay member of a Clinical Reference Group for a national specialised service.
M.A. (Cambridge) Dip Law (City University)