Surveyors & Valuers
Miles has acted in numerous claims against surveyors and valuer since the start of his career. He has been increasingly involved in this field as the current wave of lending claims has emerged in the wake of the credit crunch and the recession. He has not only acted for both lenders and solicitors in connection with particular claims, but has also provided lenders with high level advice on generic issues to assist them with recovery strategy. Miles has been involved in claims raising all the major issues thrown up by lenders’ claims including contributory negligence, fraud, coverage, syndication and the applicability of the SAAMCo ‘cap’.
By way of example, Miles has:
- Acted as sole counsel for a lender in multi-million pound claim against a surveyor for fraudulent provision of an inaccurate valuation of an industrial estate
- Acted for a defendant valuer in claim arising from allegedly inaccurate valuation of buy-to-let portfolio and its potential rental yield.
- Advised a lender on its standing to bring claims against professionals as assignee of a portfolio of mortgage loans and related quantum issues
- Acted and advised in numerous structural surveying cases, e.g. failures to detect visible defects, to follow the 'train of enquiry' and to indicate the need for further expert investigation.
- Acted for a valuation company being sued for conversion in connection with the liquidation of a company whose assets it valued.