Construction & Engineering
Construction work forms a substantial part of Nicola’s practice. She appears regularly in the TCC in London and in the regions and has experience of appearing in arbitrations and of adjudications. She is instructed by employers, contractors, sub-contractors and construction professionals, frequently in multi-party actions. Her experience ranges from multi-million pound developments including hospitals, warehouses and shopping centres to residential properties.
Nicola is a TECBAR accredited adjudicator and acts in adjudications as counsel and adjudicator. She also has experience of adjudication enforcement proceedings in the TCC.
Recent and current cases include:
- Acting for design and build contractor in multi-party dispute concerning warehouse concrete slab floors
- Acting for a number of individual home-owners in dispute with national developer over defective properties
- Acting for specialist flooring sub-contractor in adjudication defending claim by main contractor for liquidated damages
- Acting for contractor with Michael Soole QC in defence of claim for summary judgment following adjudication on final account in NEC3 Professional Services Contract. One of the few decided cases on the construction of the NEC3 contract:WSP CEL Ltd v Dalkia Utilities Services plc  EWHC 2428 (TCC);
- Advising government department in relation to dispute over procurement of IT contract;
- Acting for contractors on PFI hospital contract in dispute with M&E services designers;
- Acting for contractors in dispute with quantity surveyors over valuations of work on housing development;
- Acting for employer in dispute with contractors and architect over extensive refurbishment works to residential property;
- Acting for property owners on housing development in dispute with contractors and the NHBC over defective foul drainage system;
- Acting for owners of leisure centre in claim against geotechnical engineers alleging negligent site investigation;
- Acting for water utilities company with Michael Soole QC in dispute with Network Rail over costs of diverting water pipes for line-widening purposes;
- Acting for design and build contractors in claim against engineers in multi-party action concerning a leisure development;
- Acting for contractors in defence of claim arising from asbestos clearance;
- Acting for housing association in claim against design and build contractors for negligent design of roof to residential development;
- Acting for geotechnical engineers in multi-party action concerning a shopping-centre development;
- Acting for Chinese government corporation in international arbitration against UK contractors;
- Acting for demolition contractors in claim arising from removal of wind protection from neighbouring property;
- Acting for contractors in defence of claims for fire damage to neighbouring properties;
- Acting for employer in claim against architects arising from the construction of hotel conference centre;
- Acting for owner of vehicle showroom in nuisance claim arising from highway construction.