'The "clever and approachable" George Spalton is a "fast-rising junior" at 4 New Square... Sources applaud his ability to "pick up the key legal issues very quickly," and note that he is "well attuned to the client's commercial imperatives."'
- Chambers and Partners 2013
George has been involved in a number of domestic and international arbitrations in a variety of contexts. He particularly enjoys working abroad whenever the opportunity arises – whether in respect of arbitral proceedings themselves or to assist a client who is dealing with an ongoing claim.
A flavour of George’s work and experience is provided by the following:
- Acting for a multi-national commodities trader and agri-business in proceedings before the LCIA in a dispute arising out of a joint venture in Eastern Europe. Led by Roger Stewart QC.
- Advising and acting in an LCIA arbitration for an Israeli company against Russian and Finnish companies in respect of a dispute over oil and gas supply contracts.
- Advising an Indian Respondent to arbitration proceedings brought by an Australian mining company in an ICC arbitration.
- Advising on LCIA rules and whether a party appointed arbitrator should recuse himself as a result of potential conflicts of interest.
- Acting for a UK meat distributor in a domestic sale of goods dispute.
- Insurance coverage arbitrations and proceedings brought to determine contribution claims between professionals.
George is a member of the LCIA (and its young arbitration group, YIAG) and the AAA’s young arbitration group, ICDR and has also written on this subject and provides case law updates to various journals.