Commercial Dispute Resolution
A sizeable portion of George’s work is in the Commercial Court and he has experience of an extremely broad range of commercial disputes. George has recently been named as a ‘highly commended’ junior by Legal Week in their survey ‘Stars at the Bar’ and is a recommended junior in both Chambers and Partners 2014 and The Legal 500. Comments include: “Exceptionally bright but combines that with really good firm, commercial advice.” George has recently appeared without a leader in a high-profile five week trial in the Commercial Court and also acted twice in the Court of Appeal without a leader.
As well as acting in trials and arbitrations (as to which please follow the link to ‘Arbitration’), George has also appeared in a number of pre-action and interlocutory hearings such as freezing and proprietary injunctions, pre-action disclosure applications, security for costs applications and jurisdictional disputes.
A flavour of George’s work and experience can be provided by the following:
- Acting for European Country in ICC arbitration brought by US firm relating to a concession agreement.
- Stokors S.A. & Others v I G Markets Ltd; v Craigcrook Management Services Ltd  EWHC 631 (Comm): Successfully defending the Third Party in respect of a claim pleaded at €100m following a five week trial in the Commercial Court before Mr Justice Field. The claim involved allegations against the main defendant of dishonest assistance and knowing receipt arising out of investments in Contracts For Differences (CFDs).
- Currently instructed in ongoing proceedings by the Central Bank of Trinidad and Tobago as junior to John Powell QC.
- Acting for the claimant in the Commercial Court on behalf of close-ended Guernsey based investment company arising out of the collapse of a large hedge fund in 2009.
- Devers v Electricity Direct (UK) Ltd (7/11/08); LTL 10/6/09 (successfully acting for ED (UK) Ltd in High Court trial in claim by former agent under (amongst other things) the Commercial Agents (Council Directive) Regulations 1993).
- Courtaulds (UK) Ltd v Birgi Dis Ticaret  EWHC 1166 (Comm); LTL 2/6/09 (successfully acting for Claimant company in security for costs application against a Turkish company in context of an international sale of goods dispute).
- Acting for a metal trader against a former employee and various competitor companies in a claim worth up to £4.25m involving allegations of civil fraud which settled just before trial in the Chancery Division.
- Acting for a Spanish textile company against a UK furniture manufacturer in relation to allegedly defective goods. Worth £1m and settled just before trial.
- Acting for a German company in claim brought by British manufacturer involving complex jurisdiction issues.
- Advising a Belgian company about the construction of a commercial contract with a multinational hotel group.
- Acting for the Defendant in a claim arising out of towage and collision between a tug and an accommodation barge in the Admiralty Division.
- Acting for a well known budget airline in claim worth £1.8m relating to a dispute over call centres and, in particular, the contractual effect of letters of intent.
- Advising a major British retailer in relation to an outsourcing agreement and exclusivity clause.
- Acting in a number of disputes between franchisors and franchisees.
- Acting for and obtaining injunctive relief for employers preventing former employees from breaching confidence and restrictive covenants.
- Representing a private bank in relation to a EUR20m loan agreement made to a fraudulent borrower. Involved issues relating to set off, enforcement of undertakings, asset tracing and freezing injunctions.
- Representing a FOREX trader in a dispute over the mark up in trade agreements.
- George has also been instructed on a number of applications for relief under the Norwich Pharmacal v Customs and Excise Commissioners  AC 133 and Bankers Trust v Shapira  1 WLR 1274 jurisdiction.
George is a member of the Commercial Bar Association and is Chairman of COMBAR’s Junior Committee.