Tom has a commercial practice, details of which can be found in the subheadings on the left hand side of this page. His main areas of practice are: commercial disputes (litigation and arbitration), financial services, insurance and professional liability.
"He is excellent and has expertise and wisdom beyond his years." (Legal 500, 2016)
“A junior who is going places; he is hardworking, incisive and good with clients” (Legal 500, 2015).
Recent cases include:
- Pietro Gatto (T/A AG Avvocati Gatto) v Allianz SPA (2017) LTL 20/2/2017: sole counsel for insurers in coverage dispute (Italian law)
- Seery v Leathes Prior (a firm)  EWHC 80 (QB): sole counsel defending claim against a firm of solicitors
- Rahim v Arch Insurance Co (Europe) Ltd  EWHC 2967 (Comm): junior counsel (led by Graham Chapman QC) in coverage dispute
- Arbitration between IAAF v Rita Jeptoo (2016): ad-hoc clerk to Court of Arbitration for Sport in anti-doping rule violation dispute
- Arbitration between X v Y (2016): junior counsel (led by Roger Stewart QC and Anneliese Day QC) in a claim by a joint venture in relation to a nuclear installation
- Eyland & Sons Ltd v (1) TSL Turton (2014) Ltd (2) Steven Bond  EWHC 3942 (QB): sole counsel resisting claim for conversion, causing loss by unlawful means and conspiracy
- Arbitration between P v Q (2015): sole counsel in a dispute about responsibility for payment of insurance premiums against Clive Freedman QC
- D & G Cars Ltd v Essex Police Authority  EWHC 226 (QB): junior counsel (led by Patrick Lawrence QC) resisting claims of conspiracy and corruption in a police force
Tom’s commercial practice comprises a wide range of arbitral and litigious matters including contract, construction, public procurement, banking and civil fraud claims.
Tom’s financial services work encompasses a broad range of work. His clients include regulators, pensions advisers, mortgage brokers, banks, insurers, reinsurers, financial advisers, traders and private individuals. He undertakes both non-contentious and contentious work.
He has completed two secondments at the Financial Services Authority (General Counsel Division and Enforcement Division) (now the FCA).
In insurance, Tom has experience of acting as both Counsel and as a paper arbitrator. He acts for both policyholders and insurers. He is particularly familiar with professional indemnity, property, employers’ liability, public liability and motor policies.
He has completed a secondment in Mayer Brown LLP’s insurance department, helping him to understand insurance cases from an instructing solicitor’s perspective.
Tom’s professional liability practice extends to all areas of professional liability. He has acted in cases involving accountants, architects, estate agents, financial advisers, insurance brokers, lawyers, LPA receivers, surveyors and education professionals.
Tom also has a significant amount of experience in costs and sports law work. He has assisted Court of Arbitration for Sport panels as ad hoc clerk.
Tom is a member of BILA, CFLA, CHBA, COMBAR, FSLA, PNBA and YIAG.
Tom read Classics at Worcester College, Oxford University. He undertook the CPE at City University and the BVC at BPP. During these two years he was awarded Lord Mansfield, Lord Brougham, Hardwicke and Hubert Greenland scholarships by Lincoln’s Inn.