Fiona Sinclair QC
As Counsel, Fiona has extensive experience of international as well as domestic arbitration, particularly in the fields of:
- construction and engineering
- insurance and reinsurance
- commercial disputes
Recent and current examples of Fiona’s work in this area include:
- Advising international investors on arbitration in SE Asia arising out of a major civil engineering programme
- Advising an EPC contractor in a dispute arising out of the development of a water-treatment facility in the UK
- Acting for professional indemnity insurers in a high-value dispute with other insurers as to the correct allocation of multiple professional negligence claims against solicitors arising out of buy-to-let development fraud
- Acting for a US main contractor in a dispute arising out of the construction of a Caribbean town on FIDIC (4th edn) terms.
- Acting for the main contractor in a dispute concerning the collapse of concrete sewage tanks constructed using pre-tensioned steel cables
- Acting for surveyors in an arbitration concerning high value investment properties in Berlin
- Acting for a metro-train manufacturer in an £11 million international conciliation and arbitration relating to the upgrading of the London Underground. The dispute involved unusually high levels of legal and technical complexity; cutting-edge scientific developments occurred in its investigation and presentation
- Acting for insurers in a dispute concerning the correct allocation of claims against accountants and tax consultants arising out of investment in Enterprise Zones
- Acting on a sub-contractor’s claim for payment under contracts for the construction of a bioethanol power plant
- Acting on a contractor's payment claim in relation to the refurbishment of a well-known London hotel
- Acting for a multi-disciplinary construction professional firm on claim arising from overspend on a construction project.
Fiona accepts instructions as an arbitrator, particularly in arbitrations concerning professional indemnity insurance. Her clerk, Alex Dolby, will be pleased to supply a copy of Fiona’s terms of appointment.
Scottish Arbitration Centre