Fiona Sinclair QC
Accountants, Auditors & Actuaries
“Very good at making complex issues understandable” and “very bright, very persuasive and very amiable”, Fiona has “notable expertise in financial and construction disputes” and is “controlled, thorough and resilient” (Chambers & Partners 2015)
Fiona’s postgraduate thesis (First Class) considered UK regulation of financial services by comparison with other jurisdictions. Fiona’s practice reflects her continued interest in the liability of financial professionals generally. She is regularly instructed to act for and against accountants, corporate finance advisers, tax planning consultants, investment or asset managers and other financial professionals in high-value disputes concerning accounts preparation, corporate reorganisations, tax advice and investment advice.
Some recent examples of Fiona’s work in this field:
- Acting for Big Four accountants in a claim relating to their performance as administrative receivers and in related insolvency proceedings
- Defending SIPP trustees against a claim by investors to recover substantial losses suffered in connection with the collapse of an offshore land development. Fiona’s success in a series of interlocutory battles forced the Claimants to discontinue their claims.
- Acting for a high-net-worth individual and a corporate group in a claim against a major firm of accountants relating to complex corporate restructuring and tax mitigation advice
- Acting for a well-known music impresario on a claim against a Big 4 firm relating to tax avoidance advice and the conduct of a prolonged and complex HMRC investigation
- Advising a group of LLPs on a claim against a Big 4 firm for negligent tax advice and media management
- Defending his former accountants against a claim brought by a well-known UK football club chairman
- Defending accountants and tax advisers in £15M multiparty film finance litigation
- Defending corporate finance professionals in multiparty litigation concerning the acquisition of a hotel business
- Defending investment management professionals on claims (total £20M) relating to split capital investment trusts. Included the successful defence of an application for a Group Litigation Order.
- Acting for investment management professionals in various £multi-million claims arising out of investments on AIM, the FTSE Fledgling market and in non-listed companies
- Advising accountants defending a negligence claim tried in Cyprus, including the provision of detailed directions and advice to the Cypriot advocate for the conduct of pre-trial proceedings and the trial in Cyprus
- Acting for a record producer in a claim against a major firm of accountants relating to tax avoidance advice and the conduct of a Special Office investigation.
- Acting for a group of high-net-worth individuals against a Big 4 firm in a claim arising out of tax advice relating to a corporate reorganisation
- Defending a major firm of accountants against a claim concerning advice given in relation to the acquisition of a holiday village
- Easier Ltd v Deloitte Touche LLP  EWHC 3263 (Ch): defending auditors against a company’s challenge to their resignation under CA85 s.394(6)
Fiona is a member of both the Commercial Bar Association and the Chancery Bar Association.