Can’s professional liability practice encompasses claims for and against a range of professionals including: valuers, surveyors, construction professionals, lawyers – both barristers and solicitors – and insurance brokers in the county courts as well as the Queen’s Bench and Chancery Divisions of the High Court.
Example of Can’s recent work in this area include:
- Instructed as sole counsel for the claimant in a professional negligence claim relating to the conveyance of a £40m property.
- Advising investors following the collapse of a substantial offshore investment fund.
- Instructed as sole counsel on behalf of a firm of Chartered Surveyors in a professional negligence claim due to be heard in a 4-5 day trial in the Chancery Division.
- Instructed (with Jamie Smith) to represent Part 20 solicitor Defendants in a 10 day trial in the Chancery Division.
- Acting for a senior barrister in a lost litigation claim.
Can edits, with Jonathan Hough, the chapter on Litigation (encompassing group actions and expert evidence) in Jackson & Powell on Professional Liability (Sweet & Maxwell, 7th Edition, 2012). Can is a member of the Professional Negligence Bar Association (PNBA).