Ben Patten QC
Ben has very extensive experience of acting both for and against architects, engineers, quantity surveyors and project managers. He also has experience of acting for specialist construction concerns such as demolition contractors and contractors carrying out asbestos works where “professional liability” issues often arise. He appears regularly in cases involving construction professionals in the TCC and in Arbitrations. He has considerable experience of construction professional indemnity insurance issues and contribution disputes.
Recent and current cases include:
- Acting for the defendant architect in the appeal to the Court of Appeal in Hunt v Optima, a case concerning professional consultant’s certificates
- Acting for the design and build contractor of a superstore where substantial settlement was alleged to have been caused by inappropriate vibro-replacement treatment.
- Acting for engineers in relation to their design review and checking obligations concerning soil nailed walls in a railway embankment.
- Acting for a claimant in a dispute with former project managers concerning advice in relation to letters of intent and contractual remedies.
- Acting for engineers in relation to a dispute concerning soil stabilization works in a transport infrastructure project.
- Acting for a project manager in relation to a dispute concerning advice concerning planning on a residential development.
- Acting for a claimant in a dispute with a multi-disciplinary practice of architects, surveyors and project managers in respect of the construction of a health centre.
- Acting for an architect in a dispute over the design and construction of an airport terminal.
- Acting for a claimant against M&E engineers in relation to the design of a heating and ventilation system.
- Acting for a firm of project managers sued in respect of the project management of restaurant fitting out works in central London.
- Acting for engineers in relation to a claim arising out of frozen ground affecting the construction of buildings erected on the site of a former cold storage unit.
- Acting for a lender in a claim against a project monitor.Acting for consultants in respect of a claim concerning stone cladding to a building in the City of London.
- Acting for specialist architects in relation to a claim concerning the restoration of a grade II* listed building and ancient monument.