Ben Patten QC
Accountants, Auditors & Actuaries
Ben has acted in may claims against accountants and auditors, including claims for negligent audit work, negligent preparation, review and audit of management accounts and negligent advice (including negligent tax advice, both corporate and personal).
Recent and current work includes:
- Acting for a claimant who was given incorrect advice over CGT and the benefits of moving his tax arrangements offshore.
- Acting for claimants against a firm of tax advisers, accountants and auditors concerning tax advice on corporate acquisitions with subsequent auditing advice and Inland Revenue investigations and action.
- Acting for claimants in a dispute with their former accountants concerning the taxation treatment of restaurant tips and the financial structures which might have been put in place so as to minimise the exposure of the business to national insurance contributions.
- Acting for accountants in a claim brought against them by former clients concerning advice in relation to foreign currency loans and the purchase of property bonds.
- Acting for claimants in a dispute with their former accountants concerning advice given in relation to a share sale transaction and in particular the true and fair treatment of certain profits.
- Acting for auditors in a dispute with former clients concerning their failure to uncover fraudulent transactions undertaken by a former employee.
- Acting for a firm of solicitors against accountants in contribution proceedings in the context of a claim by former clients arising out of a share sale transaction.