Patrick Lawrence QC
Patrick is frequently instructed in cases involving issues in the Chancery field; tax, trusts, company law and real property. Present and recent (2010-12) cases include:
- A long-running matter (Lexi Holdings PLC v Pannone) before Briggs J., arising out of the frauds of Shaid Luqman. Issues arising included difficult points as to the implied actual authority and apparent authority of a director to give unconventional instructions on behalf of a company.
- Smith v Contact Holdings Ltd; scope of managing director’s authority to instruct lawyers in connection with shareholder dispute.
- Litigation arising out of the Tax Tribunal’s decision in relation to an Eclipse film finance scheme that the participants in the scheme were not trading.
- Litigation arising out of the failure of other film finance and container leasing tax avoidance schemes.
- Former Queen of Malaysia v Lattey & Dawe; trial before Hodge J. concerning tax advice given in connection with the late King of Malaysia’s holdings in the UK and abroad.
- Dore v Leicestershire CC  EWHC 1387; 2 week trial before Sales J; issues as to trust law; charities; local government.
- £5m claim arising out of allegedly defective advice concerning rights to light.
- Probate litigation concerning allegations of undue influence in relation to a will.
- Litigation concerning delay in commercial conveyancing.
- Directors disqualification proceedings.
- Christofi v Schubert Murphy; claims arising out of the setting up of a bogus solicitor’s practice; issues as to scope of solicitors’ undertakings; jurisdiction of Compensation Fund.
- Turpin v Brabners Chaffe Street; allegations of breach of fiduciary duty and conflicts of interest in relation to the sale of a substantial company.